Monday, October 31, 2005

Ridiculous

I'm watching an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, and in just a five minute interval, I've learned the following:
  • "After three tries, most password programs give you a hint." Funny, most password programs I've ever seen after three tries LOCK YOU OUT!
  • Senior math majors take multivariable calculus. (I took it first semester of sophomore year, and I was far from the most advanced student in my cohort.)
  • Seniors who have not completed multivariable calculus are given research grants by the Department of Defense.
  • Random number generator programs increase your odds of winning the lottery.

2 comments:

UnknownVariable said...

Windows XP gives the option of whether to display a hint or not.

Many random number generators do not give truly random numbers. Try this; you'll always get the same sequence of numbers.

C++

int main()
{

for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
cout << rand() << endl;
}

return 0;
}

ALD said...

I was not aware of the XP hint thing, good to know. However, XP is hardly a model of good security practices.

Your second topic I know a little more about. NO random number generators give truly random numbers. They are all pseudo-random based on modulus arithmetic. I wrote a paper on that back in 1989 or so. But random or not, they don't improve your chance of winning the lottery!